Friday, March 4, 2011

A Dress For A Guest At A Wedding (Part II)

Here is my second choice for a dress for my brother's summer wedding. 

The Nanette Lepore "Evita" dress is really different and just adorable for summer.  The more I look at it, the more romantic it gets.  I was watching "Frida" a few nights ago and I thought, "That's it!  It's like a little Mexican bridal dress!"   In it, I feel like a Mayan princess on the island of Cozumel.


As much as I love the "Evita" dress, this Trina Turk "Princess" dress caught my eye with it's ladylike cut, thin patent leather belt and fun geometric shapes.  This cut is more conservative and therefore more appropriate for a wedding.  However, the inspired DVF pattern of geometric shapes in striking black and white gives this proper, little dress a joie de vivre kick.  A fun fact: The contrasting colors of black and white were de rigueur for Diane de Poitiers, famed beauty and mistress of Henry II of France.


Adding a jacket to the sleeveless Trina Turk dress helps to make the look more formal. This sateen one-button jacket in white from The Limited goes perfectly and it's 40% off!   

But, but, but I should not refer to mistresses when we are talking about weddings!  What I love about this Trina Turk dress is when I twirl in it I feel like Charlotte from "Sex And The City."  Here are the accessories I paired the dress with so tell me what you think!


1.  For summer fun, I paired this dress with bright yellow accessories like this Kate Spade patent leather handbag and yellow danglers.  To match the patent leather belt and ladylike feel, I chose a patent leather, closed-toe Christian Dior heel in black.  The only thing that bothers me about these shoes are the buckles are silver and the belt is trimmed in gold but I love the shine!


2. Valentino satin clutch in red with flower earrings.



3. Chanel handbag in white with red danglers or flower earrings.


4. Chanel mini handbag in black with pearls.



5. Chanel mini handbag in black with leather peep-toe heels with flower in black.


6. Satin clutch with satin heels both in black.

Cheers,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. If I want to wear a hat or fascinator to the wedding, this dress may need a white, structured jacket that comes in at the waist to accent the belt and is short-sleeved for summer. Though, I have to add, Audrey Hepburn still looks a million in a wide brim hat and sheath dress sans jacket in "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Nordstrom's Classiques Entier basketweave jacket in white ($228) and the jacket was lined and very pretty. However, it was more off-white than white and the weave was too heavy for the dress fabric. Plus, it looked too warm a jacket for June in Southern California. Finally, at $228 and then replacing the silver buttons for black French glass to have what I wanted seemed too expensive. I'm so glad I found the perfect sateen jacket for $70!

    ReplyDelete